About INTERAC® online
INTERAC® Online FAQ
What is INTERAC® Online?
The INTERAC® Online service is a payment option that allows you to pay for goods and services on the Internet directly from your bank or credit union account. It is secure and easy to use.
How does INTERAC® Online work?
- The INTERAC® Online service is secure and easy to use because it works with your existing online banking service.
- Select the INTERAC® Online option when you are ready to pay.
- Login to online banking.
- Choose an account to pay from.
- Confirm the payment.
- Print or keep a record of your confirmation page.
- You are done!
Which financial institutions offer INTERAC® Online and who can use INTERAC® Online?
Anybody who is registered for online banking at any of these financial institutions can use the INTERAC® Online service.
- Luminus Financial
- BMO (Bank of Montreal)
- RBC (Royal Bank of Canada)
- TD Canada Trust
- Other Credit Unions
What if I don't have online banking?
It is easy to get access to online banking. Contact our financial professionals and sign up today.
Which currencies are supported?
INTERAC® Online is a Canadian service and operates exclusively in Canadian currency.
Is INTERAC® Online secure?
Yes, the INTERAC® Online service is very secure. Here's why:
- You do not need to provide any financial information, card numbers or login information to the online merchant or any third party; no sensitive information is shared.
- You use your existing online banking service with your usual User ID and password.
- The payment is completed through the financial institution you know and trust.
How can I sign up?
No need to sign up; All you need to do is access your online banking.
Why should I use INTERAC® Online?
The INTERAC® Online service provides you with the following benefits:
- Privacy: none of your financial details, card numbers or login information are shared with the online merchant or a third party.
- Ease of use: because the payment is conducted through online banking, you don't need to sign up or create any new passwords or accounts.
- Security: the payment is completed through the financial institution you know and trust.
- Spending Control: The INTERAC® Online service helps you better manage your finances. It’s not credit, so you can only spend funds you already have.
Can I use INTERAC® Online on any computer?
Yes, you can use the INTERAC® Online service on any computer where you can access the Internet and your financial institution's online banking service. Check with your financial institution for advice on how to safely bank online when using a public computer.
Who do I call if something goes wrong?
If you have questions or concerns about the goods or services that you have purchased using the INTERAC® Online service, (e.g. about delivery time, shipping options, product information etc.) please contact the online merchant. If you have questions or concerns about your INTERAC® Online payment (e.g. fees, limits, your account, processing times etc.) that cannot be answered by the online merchant, please contact your financial institution or Debitway.ca. In a proven case of online fraud, you are protected by the 'Customer Services Rules', which ensure that your funds are returned to your bank account by your financial institution.
I'm not sure if my payment was completed. How do I know?
If you reach the confirmation screen, and receive a confirmation number, you can be sure your payment was completed. If you confirmed your payment in online banking, but did not get redirected to a confirmation page on the merchant website, then there was a technical problem. One of two things may have happened:
- a) The merchant received your payment, but for some reason you were unable to see the confirmation page.
- b) The merchant was not able to receive your payment.
In case (a), the merchant will send you a confirmation email, or allow you to check your order history online. In case (b), the funds will be (in most cases) re-credited to your bank account within minutes. If you are still uncertain, contact the merchant directly.
What if I need to return my purchase? How do I get my money back?
It is important that you check each merchant's return/refund policy prior to making your purchase. Some merchants will process a refund where the funds are credited back to your bank account.
How can I protect myself against online fraud?
In a proven case of online fraud, you are protected by the 'Customer Services Rules', which ensure that your funds are returned to your bank account by your Financial Institution. These 'Rules' are based on the reputable Canadian Code of Practice for Consumer Protection in Electronic Commerce. While we work with all stakeholders, as well as security experts, to maintain the ongoing security of our services, there are actions that you can take as well. You are encouraged to regularly check your bank statements to verify that all transactions have been properly documented. If entries do not accurately reflect transaction activities - for example, if there are missing or additional transactions you should immediately contact your financial institution.
Please click here to find out more about INTERAC® Online.
LUMINUS FINANCIAL SERVICES & CREDIT UNION LIMITED (“LUMINUS”) IS SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING REFUND POLICY:
REFUNDS OF PRINCIPAL AMOUNT and cancellation of the Money Transfer will be made upon written request of the Sender if payment to the Receiver has not yet been made at the time the request is processed by LUMINUS FINANCIAL SERVICES & CREDIT UNION LIMITED (“Luminus Financial”). Refunds will be made within 45 days of receipt of a valid written request from the Sender. REFUNDS OF FEES will be made upon written request of the Sender if the Money Transfer is not available to the Receiver within the time specified by LUMINUS FINANCIAL SERVICES & CREDIT UNION LIMITED (“Luminus Financial”) for the selected service, subject to the business hours of the location selected by the Receiver for payment and other special conditions. Refunds will be made within 45 days of receipt of a valid written request from the Sender.