The Story of Luminus Financial
Luminus Financial (formerly Starnews) was formed in March 2011.
The original Starnews Credit Union was formed in 1951 by a group of Toronto Star employees. At that time, mortgages and personal loans were difficult for the average worker to obtain. The group decided to pool their money together and form a credit union that could provide banking products and services for regular people.
In 2010, Starnews was granted a new status as an open bond credit union, which allowed it to serve any individual, business or organization in Ontario. As a result, credit unions with similar origins became part of Starnews: King York Newsmen, Air Toronto, Campbell's Employee Credit Union, and Food Family Credit Union.
Our current name and logo represent a new era of "clearly better banking." As we continue to grow and expand, our core values remain the same: Luminus is committed to providing its member-owners a full range of competitive products and services.
Luminus Financial Hub – A Different Banking Experience
In July 2015, Luminus Financial built a new branch that offers a "one-stop shop" for financial solutions, all the while demonstrating our commitment to providing more member-oriented services. We named this new branch - the Financial Hub. Unlike a traditional bank, the Financial Hub aims to provide a boutique banking experience to our member-owners and anyone that visits.
The hub is designed to foster an environment where member-owners can interact with the staff of Luminus and improve their understanding of their personal or business financial status. Member-owners no longer need to wait in line, instead, our Member Relations Officers will come to you while you enjoy free WiFi, a complimentary beverage – or just sit down and chat with us!
At the Financial Hub, member-owners will not only have access to a full service financial institution, but they will also receive the best currency exchange rates from Interchange Financial and wealth management services from CWP (licensed investment partner, an affiliate of Sun Life Financial).
Click here to read more ways we provide clearly better banking without extra work from you.
At Luminus Financial, our goal is to provide our members with financial services at the least possible cost. We return profits to members in the form of bonus interest on deposits and interest rebates on loans and mortgages.
To be our members' first choice for financial products, services and advice.
We are committed to helping our members achieve their financial goals; encouraging and facilitating the development of our team; supporting our communities.
Luminus Financial is Adaptable, Responsive, Committed, and Co-operative (ARCC)
- We will expand opportunities by recognizing and responding to changes
- We will position products and services to attract the family unit
- We will embrace and be open to competitive trends
- We will treat everyone with respect and fairness
- We will be responsive and sensitive to the diverse needs of our members
- We will embrace and be open to changes that will keep us competitive
- We will develop products and services for members and their families
- We are committed to service excellence
- We will encourage a team environment committed to open and honest communication at all levels to provide better service to our members
- We will be committed to bringing financial awareness and understanding to members so they may be financially independent
- We will operate in accordance with co-operative principles:
- Voluntary and Open Membership
- Democratic Member Control
- Member Economic Participation
- Autonomy and Independence
- Education, Training and Information
- Co-operation among Co-operatives
- Concern for Community
- We will recognize our social responsibilities within our environment and community
Our Promise to our Members
As a member-owner of Luminus Financial, you have our commitment to live up to our promise of a clearly better banking experience.
- Listen to you.
- Respond with your financial best interests as our priority.
- Offer a full range of competitive financial products and services.
- Treat you as the owner of our institution – because you are.
- Share our profits with you.
- Exemplify all Credit Union principles.
- Make you glad to be a member, always.